måndag 22 oktober 2012

Part 1

I have to start with an apology for starting this blog after the first deadline have passed. I don't have any good excuse, I just read the instructions poorly.

Now to the book project. I think it's a really great idea to make us students more intreseted in reading in other languages than swedish. I've read english books before, not so many but it's not totally unfamiliar for me. It was a little difficult finding a suiting book at first, I found a couple of real classics in the local library, books written by Jane Austen and such and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to read a masterpiece in the original language. Well, I read a couple of pages from the book "Emma" by Jane Austen and gave up. It took to much time trying to understand the old fashioned words, I'd never finish the book in time. But some day I'll read Emma, even if it might take some time to get through the book.
So far I've learned that you can be sure that you are a good reader in your own language, it's not sure at all that you can be as good reading in another language even if you can speak it and understand it.

I finally found the perfect book for this project, a book I've wanted to read for a long time now, "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" by Ken Kesey. I have to admit, I've seen the movie, but it's many years ago and I hardly remember anything about it. I remember Jack Nicholsons crazy grin, that's about it.
The book so far has been very good, better than I thought actually. It's really funny at times, Kesey has a wonderful way of letting the reader get to know the charachters simply by what they say and how they say it. I don't know how to describe it, Kesey writes what the charachters say as they actually would say it in real life, not stiff and correct as in some other books. The books is about a mental hospital in the 60's. Already after reading a few pages you understand that the mental hospital in this case wasn't all that nice. The book is written from Chief's perspective, a big, quiet man that observes everything that happens in the hospital. He's an intreseting man, with strange thoughts and it's going to be intresting to get to know him more.
You know that the whole hospital is going to be turned totally upside down when a man called McMurphy enters the building. He really stirs the pot, with he's crazy looks and attitude. He says what's on his mind and loves being in the center of attention. You know there's going to be trouble, the hospital is run by a very unpleasant and mean nurse, "The Big nurse", Miss Ratched.

Cagey - Slug
Wicker - Korg
Swivel - Snurra på
Snarl - Morra
Racket - Bråk
Enamel - Emalj
Flick - Knäpp (ljud)
Sawdust - Sågspån
Tailormade - Skräddarsydd
Subtract - Subtrahera
Sidle - Smyga sig fram till någon
Nuisance - Otyg, besvär
Fumbling - Valhänt
Jumble - Röra, virrvarr
Cavalry - truppförband som stred till häst
Cane - Rör,käpp
Sulk - Tjura
Fidgety - Rastlös, nervös
Auctioneer - Auktionsutropare
Wicked - Ond, elak


5 kommentarer:

  1. This is part of my english assignment, I'm not so sure I would be commenting on here if that wasn't the case but I think your English is terrific and you seem to be a good writer from what I can tell. Keep up the good work!

    SvaraRadera
  2. "I have to start with an apology for starting this blog after the first deadline have passed. I don't have any good excuse, I just read the instructions poorly." made me laugh :D

    SvaraRadera
  3. Hello, I'm posting for the English assignment too. I actually might read the book you chose. It seems pretty interesting! I only read the first post since I want to read the book myself to find out what happens! :)

    SvaraRadera
  4. Hi, commenting because of the English assignment. I remember faintly from my childhood that I've seen the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Can't remember how old I was but I'd reckon I was under 10 years old. Now reading this I got rather curious how much different the movie actually is from what I remember, so I think I'll put down a note to re-watch it at some point.

    SvaraRadera
  5. Seems like a good book, a little different :)

    SvaraRadera